Hibernate 4 Maven Plugin
The hibernate-maven-plugin is a plugin for generating a database-schema from your Hibernate-4-Mappings and create or update your database accordingly. Its main usage is to automatically create and populate a test-database for unit-tests in cooperation with the dbunit-maven-plugin.
The plugin was designed with three main goals in mind:
- It should be easy to use.
- It should be maximal unlikely, to erase a producation-database by accident.
- It should not slow down the development cycle.
To achieve the first goal, the convention-over-configuration paradigma was applied and the plugin was stuffed with usefull logging-messages. So, if in doubt, just turn on the debugging output with the mvn -X ....
To achieve the second goal, the precedence in which the configuration locations are consulted was layouted in a way that makes it possible, to prevent overwrites of the wrong database by accident.
Last but not least, in order to not slow down the development cycle, the hibernate-maven-plugin only executes the schema-export, if the mapping or the dialect changes (or if you force it to do so).
For more information about the inspiration to write this tiny plugin, read our blog-article about the hibernate-maven-plugin.
- See Configuration Examples for Usage-Explanations and simple examples of how to use this plugin.
- See hibernate:export and Plugin Documentation for the full autogenerated documentation. These are mostly configuration-options of the Hibernate-Tools SchemaExport and SchemaUpdate, that do the work in the background.